Randwick Racecourse: The Famous Royal Racecourse in the outskirts of Sydney!
Randwick Racecourse is a horse racecourse located in the Eastern Suburbs in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Randwick Racecourse is operated by the Australian Jockey Club and is formally known as 'Royal Randwick Racecourse'.
Randwick Racecourse is located approximately 6 kilometres from the Sydney Central Business District in the suburb of Randwick.
Randwick Racecourse holds major Australian races during the Autumn and Spring Racing Carnivals. Among the famous races held at Randwick Racecourse are:
- Australian Derby
- AJC Oaks
- AJC Queen Elizabeth Stakes
- AJC Sires Produce Stakes
- All Aged Stakes
- Champagne Stakes
- Doncaster Handicap
- Epsom Handicap
- Flight Stakes
- Randwick Guineas
- Spring Champion Stakes
Over the years, Randwick Racecourse has been a favoured venue for many events including concerts and religious masses. In 1973, the Rolling Stones played at Randwick Racecourse on their 1973 Pacific Tour . In 1970, Pope Paul VI celebrated mass at Randwick Racecourse as part of his pastoral visit to Australia . The Randwick Racecourse was also the site of the beatification ceremony held by Pope John Paul II in 1995 for Australia 's first potential saint, Mary MacKillop . In July 2008, Pope Benedict XVI visits Randwick Racecourse for the vigil and final mass at the conclusion of the XXIII World Youth Day.
Randwick Racecourse Description
Randwick Racecourse has a reputation for being a good all-weather track. The racecourse was given the right to be known as 'Royal Randwick' by Queen Elizabeth in 1992.
Randwick Racecourse has a circumference of 2,213 metres and the straight is 410
metres long. Randwick Racecourse has a wide, sweeping surface, as well as sweeping bends. The configuration of Randwick Racecourse is such that it gives all runners a good chance of victory. It has charming, 'old world' structures and polished, modern stands like the recently completed Paddock Stand which offers excellent dining and bars along with great viewing facilities.
Randwick Racecourse History
In 1833, the Governor had seen fit to sanction the reserve of an eligible piece of ground on the Botany Road for a new racecourse. The eligible piece of ground referred to here is what we know today as Randwick Racecourse.
In June 1833, the first race recorded at Randwick was a private match between two horses and was held on the new course in June, 1833.
In 1838, the conditions of the racecourse deteriorated to the point that it was used for training purposes only.
In 1840, the Australian Racing Committee was formed to establish a system of racing worthy of the growing importance of the colony.
In 1842, this Committee had resolved itself into the Australian Jockey Club.
In 1860, racing resumed at Randwick, with a grandstand seating 700 and a total crowd of 6,000 in attendance.
In 1861, the AJC Derby was first run at Randwick Racecourse.
In 1863, the Randwick land was granted by the Crown to trustees representing the Australian Jockey Club for an annual rental of "one black peppercorn payable on demand".
In 1873, the Australian Jockey Club Act confirmed the Club's tenure of Randwick Racecourse.
In 1961, the Australian Jockey Club (Amendment) Act altered the AJC lease of Randwick racecourse from a 21-year to a 99-year term.
In 1962, the AJC moved to its present administration offices at Randwick .
In 1969, the Queen Elizabeth II stand at Randwick Racecourse was used for the first time.
In 1977, the computerised totalisator was introduced at Randwick Racecourse.
In 1992, Queen Elizabeth II visited Randwick Racecourse and opened the new $30 million Paddock Grandstand.
|Buy this Kindle edition of 'Secretariat' and if you still don't have a Amazon Kindle, grab now.|
Check out these Interesting Books on Australia Racecourse: