Sedgefield Racecourse: A friendly racecourse for everyone!
Sedgefield Racecourse is a thoroughbred horse racecourse with a relaxed atmosphere located in the town of Sedgefield, Stockton-on-Tees, in County Durham, England. Its exact address is:
Sedgefield Racecourse typically holds about 20 jump fixtures in a year, usually in 11 months of the year.
Sedgefield Racecourse Description
Sedgefield Racecourse has a left-handed, undulating oval, with sharp bends. The circuit measures 1 mile and 2 furlongs. The run-in measures 250 yards. The racing surface of Sedgefield Racecourse has recently been relayed and now produces really decent ground.
Sedgefield Racecourse's penultimate fence is an open ditch at the top of the hill. It can be tricky and the final 100 yards are steeply uphill. Sedgefield Racecourse provides an advantage to robust jumpers, as well as those with enduring stamina.
Sedgefield Racecourse has two Enclosures: the Grandstand and Paddock Enclosure and the Family Enclosure. The Grandstand and Paddock Enclosure gives access to the grandstand, the Parade Ring, the Winner's Enclosure, as well as to the Pavilion Restaurant and the bars. The Family Enclosure provides access to the centre course viewing and bar.
Sedgefield Racecourse History
In 1804 Ralph Lambton formed a club based at the Hardwicke Arms and Sedgefield became the headquarters of the Ralph Lambton Hunt, whose meetings had originally taken place at Lambton Park . Ralph Lambton was an ancestor of the Earls of Durham, and among original members of the club were Ralph Brandling, then owner of Gosforth Park, and Robert Surtees, father of RS Surtees, the creator of Jorrocks.
In 1846, the first recorded horse racing meetings were recorded at Sedgefield. The Sedgefield Racecourse lands were part of the Sands Hall Estate, home of the Ord family and known as the Melton of the North.
Racing at Sedgefield was discontinued in 1915 due to World War I and subsequently resumed in 1920.
In 1927, the current Racecourse Company was founded.
Starting in the late 1970s, Sedgefield Racecourse underwent a gradual revamp. Customer facilities like new bars and eating places, were introduced. Stable facilities were likewise improved.
In 1991, the Sedgefield Pavilion was opened. The Pavilion which houses a public bar, Tote facilities, a restaurant and seven private entertaining suites.
In 1995, the Theakston Suite was opened. It incorporates a public bar, Tote facilities and three entertaining suites.
In 1998, a Weighing Room Complex was constructed at Sedgefield Racecourse.
|Buy this Kindle edition of 'Secretariat' and if you still don't have a Amazon Kindle, grab now.|
Check out these Interesting Books on UK Racecourse: